As reported by The Hollywood Reporter (and many other news outlets) the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences has sent out this year’s invitations to invite new people as voting members. The Academy is each year selecting the winners at the Academy Awards also known as the Oscars. Not surprisingly, Marion Cotillard – who was named best actress at this year’s ceremony – is among the 105 artists and executives who received such an invitation. Other invited actors are Sacha Baron Cohen, Josh Brolin, Ruby Dee, Allison Janney, Jet Li and Ray Winstone. To find out who the other 105 new members of the Academy are click here.
The membership policies that the Academy adopted in 2004 in order to slow the growth of the organization would have allowed a maximum of 137 new members in 2008, but the various branch committees endorsed fewer candidates than that. With the new infusion of members, voting membership is expected to hold steady at just under the 6,000 mark.
New members will be welcomed into the Academy at an invitation-only reception at the Fairbanks Center for Motion Picture Study in Beverly Hills in September.
- ‘Midnight in Paris’ Award Nominations, posted on January 12, 2012
- First still of “Nine”, posted on November 7, 2008
- Foreign Language Film Award Reception, posted on February 21, 2009
- Best Actress at the Satellite Awards, posted on December 17, 2007
- Golden Globe Nomination, posted on December 15, 2009