I have finally managed to get to the cinema and see ‘La Môme’ last week. I have seen almost every film (that’s available on DVD) with Marion Cotillard. I’ve been amazed by her performances many a time. However, I couldn’t describe her latest performance better than Variety did: “Versatile, always spot-on thesp Marion Cotillard surpasses herself.” She’s simply perfect! Although one recognizes Marion she is completely transformed and not once wavers in being Edith Piaf.
The film itself is something else of course. Well, it looks beautiful and the sound and colour on the big screen are not to be missed. But for someone like myself who is not familiar with the life of Edith Piaf, it is too confusing. One leaves the cinema with an idea who she was as a person but without a clear picture of her life.
- Three Quick Questions for La môme’s Edith Piaf: Marion Cotillard, posted on February 8, 2007
- ‘La Vie en Rose’ in NY, posted on February 28, 2007
- Marion Cotillard on ‘La Vie en Rose’ — and awards, posted on November 23, 2007
- Christopher Plummer about Marion, posted on January 7, 2011
- Being Edith, posted on June 6, 2007