Official statements

1. fifi says:

When you read the transcript MC does not say anywhere that she believes these conspiracy theories to be fully and literally true. My interpretation is that she says that conspiracy theories exist and they make her think about the “truths” that we are told by our governments. Good for her! I’m glad she’s not one of those poor sheep who believe everything they read in the newspapers or that their governments tell them. She doesn’t actually say anywhere that she thinks the US government destroyed the twin towers or that man never walked on the moon – she’s saying these theories exist and they should make us think about what people would like us to believe.

I really really hope that she doesn’t formally apologise for this episode – it’ll make her look like a hypocrite to those of us who think she has done nothing wrong!!

Marion Cotillard : J’ai tendance à être plutôt souvent de l’avis de la théorie du complot.
    Xavier de Moulins : Un peu parano ?
    M. C. : Pas parano, non c’est pas parano parce que je pense qu’on nous ment sur énormément de choses : Coluche, le 11 septembre. On peut voir sur internet tous les films du 11 septembre sur la théorie du complot. C’est passionnant, c’est addictif, même.
    X. de M. : Sur le 11 septembre par exemple, toi, qu’est-ce qui t’a le plus troublée, concrètement ?
    M. C. : On te montre d’autres tours du même genre ayant pris des avions, ayant brûlé… il y a une tour, je crois que c’est en Espagne, qui a brûlé pendant 24 heures.
    X. de M. : Avant de s’effondrer ?
    M. C. : Elle ne s’est jamais effondrée ! Aucune de ces tours ne s’effondre. Et là, en quelques minutes, le truc s’effondre. Et puis après, on peut en parler longuement… Parce que c’était bourré d’or les tours du 11 septembre. Et puis c’était un gouffre à thunes parce qu’elles ont été terminées, il me semble, en 1973 et pour recâbler tout ça, pour le mettre à l’heure de toute la technologie et tout, c’était beaucoup plus cher de faire des travaux etc. que de les détruire…
    [A ce stade, il semble que le reste de sa tirade ait été coupé au montage, pour en arriver à la conclusion :]
    Est-ce que l’homme a vraiment marché sur la lune ? J’ai vu pas mal de documentaires là-dessus et ça, vraiment je m’interroge. Et en tout cas je ne crois pas tout ce qu’on me dit, ça c’est sûr.

2. Sissy says:

I agree with you Fifi but I’ve just read the article on the Times website and I think what Marion’s agent, Bastien Duval said is not going to help, he declared: Marion can make movies elsewhere! to which hundreds of readers replied: “fine, she can go back to France, they deserve her + she’s not welcome here!”
    + lots of other xenophobic comments…. Not many people wrote to support her and the few who defend her are mostly European. I don’t know how Marion is going to manage during the shooting of Public enemies in Chicago.
    It’s a horrible situation.

3. fifi says:

Well let’s hope that by the time Public Enemies is released (what an ironic title that film now seems to have!) all of this nonsense will have died down and the easily offended elements of the American public will be pissed off with someone else!! We don’t know what the producers of Public Enemies make of all this – they might actually LIKE the controversy – after all, there is that old saying that “there’s no such thing as bad publicity”!! MC has charmed Hollywood so far and hopefully they’ll understand that MC was not making a personal attack on Americans as a whole. And if they don’t, well she’ll just have to settle for good old Europe ………………..

4. Lena says:

Poor Marion. I do think this will blow over soon but it’s really sad how people are using this as another reason to hate on France. But American/British actors say much worse stuff than she did (and theirs doesn’t even have to be taken out of context) and it blows over for them. In the US, at least I haven’t heard of this outside of the internet fanatics. I just feel bad for her that her joy has turned to worry over something so stupid.

5. Mandy says:

HEY! DON’T WORRY ABOUT IT!!! THE MAINSTREAM MEDIA IN THE STATES IS MAKING UP THIS SUPPOSED “OUTRAGE”. I’M IN THE STATES.

I PERSONALLY THINK WE WERE LIED TO ABOUT 9/11 (THAT’S MY OPINION — I’M NOT SAYING IT’S YOUR OPINION). LOTS AND LOTS OF US CITIZENS ARE WAKING UP TO THIS. IT’S THE MAINSTREAM MEDIA THAT’S EITHER OUT OF TOUCH OR TRYING TO SUPPRESS OUR VOICES. WILLIE NELSON JUST CAME OUT AND SAID THE SAME THING. THE MEDIA WON’T EVEN REPORT IT. WHY? BECAUSE HOW COULD THEY GET AWAY WITH SLANDERING AN AMERICAN ICON AND SPINNING WHAT HE SAID? EVERYONE HERE LOVES HIM. SO THEY JUST DIDN’T REPORT IT.

ANYWAY, WHAT’S WRONG WITH TRYING TO DISCUSS IT? THAT MAKES ME THINK YOU’RE AN INTELLIGENT PERSON.

6. Charles says:

As a resident of New York and a big fan of MC I feel as if the American public has truly over reacted to this interview. Most Americans don’t research facts and truths about stories. The Media only feeds the people the info to create a story. On the other hand it is important for her to keep a low profile for awhile and answer back to the American public as much as possible. She has the potential to be a big star in this country if it is important to her. Her PR staff should be doing its job. This will blow over. But she must face the media one on one. Hollywood is where the money is like it or not. For me it doesn’t matter. She is still a great Actress. 9/11 is still a very sensitive topic and to say”I made a mistake”would go a long way!!

7. Zosia says:

Poor Marion! :( It’s sad when people make fuss out of nothing, and you become the world’s biggest enemy (well, that’s what it seems like after reading some people’s comments!).
    She’s a very talented actress and a sweetheart and it would be a shame if people boycotted her work just because some newspaper published her statement without giving a context to it, which changes the meaning of her words :(

8. Fay says:

Where is the freedom of opinion in the U.S.A.?! She just told her opinion. Milions of people and scientists agree with her views. Why does the U.S. – Media attack her for her outlook. Thats totally wrong & doting. They are overreacting. She is just an actress who explained her views to a magazine. I like Marion even more since this interview. Go Marion!

9. Ange says:

I admire her for not retracting her statements. There is nothing to retract. Nowhere in that interview has she disrespected the lives lost in that attack. She only questioned the official report issued by the government. This incident is getting unnecessary mileage. I think, for the most part, people don’t really care. It’s just the media that keeps fanning the flames and using sensitive 9/11 feelings to pit the American public against her by using sensational headings and picking and choosing her quotes for their convenience. Have you guys read what TMZ wrote about her and the comments that were received? I try to remind myself that these people do not represent the whole population.

10. Leah says:

Let me be the first to say I have always admired MC. I think she is the wonderful actress, so much so, that I own several of her films. While Marion certainly has the right to speak her mind, and yes I do believe the article is making a bigger deal of it than it is. We must remember that while you or I may not have lost anyone when those towers collapsed. There are thousands of families out there that did, and it still is difficult for them. And we must respect that. Just as much as we respect someone’s freedom of speech. Hopefully her career isn’t harmed by this but I do agree with Sissy what her agent said isn’t going to help matters at all.

11. OliverGbyrne says:

We all know that the problem is talking sense to people like that its as usefull as talking to your bedroom wall, they just wanna beleive what they want to beleive.

12. JV says:

The reproaches are unfounded!
    Die Lage wird sich sicherllich bald wieder beruhigen – so oder so. ;)

13. Ea says:

Hi, I have and idea: Shouldn’t we send her a letter or something to cheer her up? I get more and more upset when I go to the imdb-board, I can’t imagine how she must feel.

14. fallen_angel says:

don”t worry Marion!
    Every cloud has its silver linings….don’t know what to say, just be strong and be patient dear!

@Ea: good idea, but what to do? maybe maria has any idea?

15. kitvancleave says:

As far as I can determine, this whole situation was started by an anti-French British tabloid (they have the WORST) who perhaps wanted to sell papers. I’m in the US, too, and many of the comments I’m reading here are in support of Marion. Today, the whole thing seems to be dying down a little. I’ve asked Larry King to ask her on as a guest; this issue would come up, but he’s a “soft” interviewer who has had lots of people who actually did something wrong on as guests. Remember that there is a virulent streak of white male chauvinism in the US which came to the fore in the 1994 “angry white male election.” “Freepers” are rightwingers who get stirred up about anything they PERCEIVE as anti-American, and they are completely intolerant about other people’s opinions (re: Dixie Chicks). But at the moment their beloved Republican party is in deep trouble. I think they’ll find something nearer to home to get excited about before the week is out But I’m ALL FOR sending Marion letters of support. Perhaps her French agents could supply a “pro only” forum where we could all report the latest and help her feel better (perhaps this one?). To do this to anyone is awful; to do this to a great artist over politics has always been awful (re: Joseph McCarthy). To do it to a woman who to all appearances is sweet, intelligent, and gracious is more than awful. By the way, read the youtube.com responses; they’re more balanced in favor of Marion.

16. loom says:

This has become worse than I expected. I feel sorry for poor Marion, this has totally ruined the fairytale. She must feel really bad and scared now, there was even talk of protestors on the Public Enemies set.

Do you think it’s possible she’ll even be booed a la Michael Moore (and look at his views) at next year’s Oscars when she presents best actor? Will she even be allowed to do it? :( The fact the Academy even made a statement about revoking Oscars is sickening. People are still accepting that article at face value as if she made the statement after getting her Oscar. Truly despicable.

17. OliverGbyrne says:

Thats a nice idea,poor Marion she really must feel bad right now. I try to avoid IMDB because of that , i do my best to deffend her in there but facing those moronic bigotts,its not easy.

18. Ea says:

I agree, they really don’t want to understand or forgive her. Even if she actually went on and apologized and toke her statment back (which I of course don’t hope she does) they still wouldn’t forgive her, they’re really crazy.

19. Maria says:

@Ea, Gabriel: We can talk about this – sending a letter of support – in the forum

20. ika says:

That would be great. You can open a topic about this, Maria. Thanks !

21. Ea says:

Okay, super..

22. Bertine says:

So mean this came up just after the Oscars! People read something and without thinking they make it much worse. I feel really bad for Marion and it doesn’t changed my opinion; I still admire her!

23. Noir says:

I’ve made a topic in the general discussion part.

- Ea

24. fifi says:

I think MC will be able to ride out this storm (which is hopefully just in a big tea cup!). The latest I’ve read on the net from Hollywood seems to indicate that other actors have expressed similar and more extreme views and have got away with it and apparently in the US these days just about everyone now believes in some kind of conspiracy theory or other around 9/11, now that the Bush administration seems so tainted. I think the difference for MC is that she’s French (I get the impression that it’s okay for Americans to spout conspiracy theories about events in their own countries but not so okay for foreigners to do that, lol!).

Anyway, good luck to Marion over there in the coming weeks, eek!!

25. Amy says:

I would love the support letter idea ^^

Actually, is there an address I could send fanmail? lol xD

26. Kit van Cleave says:

I’ve just got off the Net and I think the whole thing is dying down already. I haven’t seen anything in the NEW YORIK TIMES, WASHINGTON POST, Chicago papers yet. That’s where many people get their detailed news. A lot of people have been battling on the Net for Marion’s right to say whatever the hell she wants. (See HUFFINGTON POST.com, in the Entertainment section, and add your comments defending Marion). I’d also like people to go to Larry King’s website (larryking.com) and request that he book Marion for an upcoming show. There’s a request area on the left-hand side. If we’re all lucky, this will be over as the US election continues; but I still favor letting Marion know that many people are hurt for her and support her. By the way, there are several TIMESes: THE NEW YORK TIMES, THE TIMES OF LONDON, and THE WASHINGTON TIMES. The one in Washington is owned by Rev. Moon (I’m not making this up) and is a very rightwing newspaper; it has zero credibility, makes no profit, but is read avidly by all the neocons and Bushies. These are the neoKKK bunch that Swiftboat anyone they THINK is doing something they disagree with. That’s the way they generally do business about everything. So I wouldn’t bother reading the WASHINGTON TIMES on this or any other issue. And remember that 1) this Oscars was the least-watched in many years, and 2) When Marion arrived in LA in December, the US public had largely never heard of her. I suspect many still have never heard of her. That will assist this whole matter is dying off quickly — I hope. One last request — write the LA TIMES, go to “The Envelope,” and bash writer Tom Whoever for taking this story seriously and saying Marion’s opinions were “dangerous.” He’s a damn entertainment reporter and shouldn’t have taken sides. Worse, as he writes entertainment for the LA TIMES, however, he’s being quoted by other papers on this matter. Let’s bash him a little — or a lot

27. katie says:

dear marion, i think that you are a wonderful actress – your performance in La Vie en rose crossed all cultural boundaries and sat in my taiwanese apartment with my taiwanese housemate we were both swept away by the beauty of the story. Thats why you won an oscar and all this rubbish about conspiracy theorys is just that rubbish…p.s if you’ve finished with that beautiful dress you wore do feel free to pass it on hehe

28. Maria says:

@Amy: Go here to see the address of Marion’s agency.

29. piperpop says:

Hi Kit van Cleave, It is a good idea adding comment defending Marion on various web-site that have story about her. As you said the whole thing was dying down, maybe we shouldn’t drag Larry King into it. Mostly the news are on the internet we should let it die there. If Larry King interview her, that would open the flood gate again and give the pleasure to all the trashy media to start attacking her again. The last thing Marion
    wants is to revisits the nightmare again, with her English one wrong word comes out of her mouth, that will be a wild fire for them to twist. These trashy media have no moral and ethic to begin with. Let her publicist handle the press, the story is not true anyway that why it dies down. We all want to support Marion so let bash all the media that twisted the story, shall we!

30. sus says:

I agree with you Piperpop. The matter seems that already it is calmer and that has spent overcoat in Internet and the television has not given it a lot of importance. I am thinking that we must about making it like that. Her english isn’t perfect, and probably a word badly above mentioned serves in order that they attack her again.

Thanks to God, it seems that already one is calming everything.

31. OliverGbyrne says:

Even Billy Bush defended Marion on his access hollywood blog.

32. tk2048 says:

Well, the thing is dying down, but it’s not dead yet. Glenn Kenny of Premiere Magazine just posted a blog calling her an idiot. A shame since I’ve always, for the most part, liked his reviews. But he was actually even more critical of the comments her people made trying to explain the situaton. Nevertheless, this whole thing makes me like Marion even more, bud sadly, think even less of a lot of Americans.

33. Kit van Cleave says:

Hey, Piperpop……I understand your points. I had recommended Larry King interview Marion BEFORE all this happened, just to introduce the US public to her. Still, now it would not be a bad place for her to appear. He’s known for being ablle to control public animosity and his screeners could screen out all the rabid hatemongers so they couldn’t speak to Marion directly, My thought then was to get the public to know her a little better; if she WISHED to make any further statement, she could use a “soft” media site like his show to do it. King has always protected his guests and let them speak their minds. But you may be right and as the thing seems to be winding down, she may want some distance before she meets the media again. Are there any reports from the Chicago set of any disruption? I don’t think it’s likely to happen. By the way, there is a report that the attack on Marion is being orchestrated for other reasons. I’ll forward that to Maria when she sends me an e-mail address so she can check it out. Note that about half the sources for this mess are British tabloids, and the NEW YORK POST is owned by Rupert Murdoch as well.

34. Auxane says:

Just Jared called MariO Cotillard an idiot as well. And I saw a little bit on this story (just a report, not taking sides but still assuming she “questioned the 9/.11 events” when she didn’t even do that…) on Metro, a free daily Irish newspaper… But I think it is calming down. I just send positive vibes to Marion and I love the idea of a letter. I’m so afraid of reading bad things on her and other things that I don’t read much stuff on the internet and flee those realted to her. I only dared to look here yesterday… This is so ridiculous.

35. Bluebird says:

I feel bad for her, I really do. This is so completely unfair, it makes me sick to my stomach. The Americans are the first ones to defend freedom of speech and the moment someone says something they dislike they react like that. It’s as though they’re saying, “you can say whatever you want as long as I feel the same way”. And how on Earth does that work?

First of all, what she said was taken out of context, as you all said here. She didn’t say she believed those conspiracy theories, she said people can’t believe everything they’re told and they should question the ‘official’ stories. That doesn’t make her an idiot, that doesn’t make her stupid, on the contrary, that makes her SMART. It’s our job to question everything these days, with the governments protecting their own interests and the media being corrupted by said governments and their own particular interests as well.

And even if she did believe the conspiracy theories, so what? There are lots of Americans, proud Americans, who do believe them. Who am I, who are they, to say someone is Anti-American based on their opinions about a certain subject? A lot of people are saying those awful things about her because they say the scientific community says those conspiracy theories have no merit. Even if that’s true (I don’t know, I didn’t research the subject), need they be reminded that just because the scientific community believes something to be true it doesn’t necessarily mean it is? There’s always the possibility a theory that’s accepted as true at a time turns out not to be, so opinions to the contrary should be respected, even if not believed.

They also need to realize that being against the government is so not the same as being against the country. Power is often corrupt, we don’t have to support everything our leaders do, certainly not when we believe they’re wrong. This kind of thinking is just wrong, it reminds me of Vietnam and how people who were against the war were perceived as Anti-American when they had their country and their people’s best interests at heart.

But I digress, that’s not even the issue where Marion is concerned. I’m just really angry about those who’re so quick to believe those reports, who call her an idiot, saying the public should boycott her movies and worse, without even having all the facts, without bothering to hear her side of the story. That’s so completely STUPID.

36. Sissy says:

Kit van Cleave, hope you can soon post the report on how things were orchestrated against Marion. Will be interesting to prove one more time that some media are totally corrupted.

37. Olivier Emmanuel says:

Just saw an article on TMZ called why we hate the French and they called Marion a b@#@ , I am chocked that people can get away with things like that.

38. kobi says:

i think pepole cant hear what other say and if its change from there opinion ….im also think she can make films everywhere..she too good to be true

39. Je lis cet article et vos commentaires beaucoup plus tard et je ne suis pas étonnée de constater que cette histoire n’a été qu’un feu de paille. Je n’en avait même jamais entendu parler. Les gens sont tordus et aiment bien faire dire des choses à des gens qui ne sont pas exactement ce que la personne a dit ou a voulu dire, qui sont hors contexte. Les acteurs sont dans une fâcheuse position car ils sont sous les projecteurs constamment. Marion est une fabuleuse actrice qui, peut importe ce qu’elle pourrait dire ou faire, continuera d’avoir l’estime de tous. Elle est attachante. Son jeu est d’une justesse et d’une finesse incroyable. Elle est polyvalente. C’est tout simplement mesquin de vouloir lui donner mauvaise presse.