According to Variety there is hope that ‘Nine’ can go ahead despite the ongoing writers’ strike:
The Weinstein Co. has followed United Artists by inking a nearly identical interim agreement with the Writers Guild of America.Along with new scripts coming in, certain key projects in the pipeline will get some wind in their sails, such as “Nine,” the Rob Marshall musical adaptation that Michael Tolkin originally scripted.
Anthony Minghella, whose Mirage Entertainment recently reupped at TWC, plans to work on rewrites of “Nine.” Cast members attached include Javier Bardem, Marion Cotillard, Penelope Cruz and Sophia Loren.
Apparently, this interim deal will allow the company to hire writers for script revisions and allow guild scribes to resume pitching new projects.
Then, I came across a rumour on New York Daily News:
Looks like Nicole Kidman will have to drop out of “The Reader” now that she’s pregnant. We hear that Kate Winslet is heading up the list of possible replacements to play a former Auschwitz guard in the Stephen Daldry film. Also being considered to join Ralph Fiennes and Bruno Ganz are Naomi Watts and Marion Cotillard.
While I have not found Marion’s name pop up in relation to this project anywhere else it is certainly a rumour I personally would like to be true. ‘The Reader‘ is another Weinstein Co. project with shooting to take place in Germany tentatively set to begin in late February or March. Synopsis: In postwar Germany, a young man’s decades-long obsession with an older woman runs headlong into a war crimes trial, where he learns an awful truth.
Last week SAG released the following statement:
After considerable outreach to Golden Globe actor nominees and their representatives over the past several weeks, there appears to be unanimous agreement that these actors will not cross WGA picket lines to appear on the Golden Globe Awards as acceptors or presenters.
Subsequently, The Hollywood Foreign Press decided on Monday to cancel the traditional awards ceremony.
The Hollywood Foreign Press Association today announced that the recipients of Golden Globe Awards in 25 categories will be revealed during an hour-long HFPA press conference at The Beverly Hilton to be covered live by NBC News beginning at 6:00 pm PST on January 13. “The 65th Annual Golden Globe Awards” NBC telecast and champagne dinner in The Beverly Hilton’s International Ballroom is officially cancelled.
It looks like NBC is airing this press conference and filling the other 2 hours with interviews with the nominees. So, it’s still good to watch and keep our eyes open for Marion Cotillard.
This alteration in plans affects many people – working e.g. in styling, fashion, hotel, catering. Here some Marion Cotillard-related comments:
For newcomers like the cast of AMC’s “Mad Men,” “Hairspray’s” Nikki Blonsky and “La Vie en Rose” star Marion Cotillard, the canceled ceremony casts a dramatic pall over their career highs. “This is her time,” said Berney of Cotillard. “It is really tough. Even if she wins, it’s not the same.”
from The Envelope
“I think it still matters who wins a Golden Globe,” says Entertainment Weekly‘s awards analyst Dave Karger. “But for someone like (La Vie en Rose star) Marion Cotillard, who could very well win for best actress, she could use the attention of people seeing her walk down the red carpet and make an acceptance speech,” Karger says. Her Oscar chances “will certainly be hurt by what will be a lower viewership.”
from USA Today